Cons For Organizations Explained
- The donations are small: For many charities, AmazonSmile’s 0.5% of eligible purchases may seem negligible. It takes a long time for them to add up. Only the site’s ease of use and massive audience counteract this drawback.
- Can dampen consumer giving habits:Some nonprofit experts speculate that using AmazonSmile will dampen consumers’ personal giving habits, meaning. By feeling like they have already “contributed” through their purchase, your supporters may think they don’t have to do anything else to support you. Fundraisers might worry that their previously engaged donors will not donate directly to their favorite causes.
- You cannot access any personal data about your donors:Charities are unable to access donor data through AmazonSmile. This eliminates a huge source of information that could make it easier for nonprofits to access new opportunities for donations. In other words, your organization will not be able to add that donor to your database or send a thank you.
- Need to advertise: You will need to advertise AmazonSmile on your website and social channels to make it worthwhile. Although AmazonSmile does perform some marketing for its program, it is essential that your nonprofit also market it. Let your supporters know that your organization has signed up with AmazonSmile and nudge them to use it when shopping at Amazon.
How To Use Amazonsmile For Your Pto Or Pta
AmazonSmile is a popular website that can add to nonprofits bottom lines. Heres what to think about for your school parent group.
Chances are youve heard about AmazonSmile, or maybe even used it to contribute to a charity. AmazonSmile is a program operated by Amazon that offers all the same products, with the distinction that a portion of the price of eligible purchases goes toward the buyers charity of choice.
How Does It Work?
When users shop at smile.amazon.com, the AmazonSmile Foundation contributes 0.5 percent of eligible purchases to a designated charityin this case, your PTO. Especially for frequent Amazon users , its an effortless way to give back to charities.
A note about Amazon Associates: Amazon Associates is whats known as an affiliate program, which allows participants to promote specific Amazon products and links for payment. Its open to nonprofits, but program requirements from Amazon can make it challenging for PTOs to participate. Amazon Associates is separate from AmazonSmile.
First things first: To participate in AmazonSmile, PTOs must be registered and in good standing with the IRS as a 501. There are many other reasons to consider becoming a 501 if you havent yet our free webinar on 501 basics can walk you through the best practices of becoming a federally recognized tax-exempt organization.
The next steps for participating in AmazonSmile are fairly straightforward:
Verify your email address.
Points To Consider
How To Turn On Amazonsmile In The Mobile App
Get the app
Download or update to the latest version of the Amazon Shopping app on your phone. You can find it in the App Store for iOS or for Android.
If you are not already an AmazonSmile member, simply sign up at smile.amazon.com and select your favorite charity to start generating donations, at no cost to you.
Turn on AmazonSmile
Open the app and find Settings in the main menu . Tap on AmazonSmile and follow the on-screen instructions to turn on AmazonSmile on your phone.
AmazonSmile in the app is not available for iPads and other tablet devicesTo shop AmazonSmile on your tablet, type smile.amazon.com into the browser.
Read Also: Amazon Prime Locker Locations
Using The Amazon Smile Website
Over 1 Million Charities See Their Stories
AmazonSmile donations help Cascadia Elementary PTA support our students growth by contributing to our general fund. This fund supports everything from library books to instrumental music, from teacher classroom grants to community-building events for our more than 500 students in grades 1-5. Through our special programs, students participate in gardening, songwriting, and volunteer projects.
Austin Pets Alive! thrives on community. Because of community support, our organization has saved over 60,000 lives in the past 10 years. The money we receive from programs like AmazonSmile help us to provide care for a population of animals that need extra resources while under our care. Donations support programs such as our Neonatal Kitten Nursery, Feline Leukemia Adoption Center, and Dog Behavior Program. AmazonSmile has helped extend our community by offering customers the ability to support us simply by shopping at smile.amazon.com.
For 75 years, Heifer International has equipped poor farming communities with the livestock and training they need to lift themselves out of hunger and poverty. We couldnt have helped more than 34 million families without the support of partners like AmazonSmile. Every customer who shops at smile.amazon.com is generating much needed donations to further our work. As little as $120 buys a family a goat, putting them on the path to prosperity and self-sufficiency.
Amazon Smile Whats The Catch
So if you are suspicious of money for nothing as most of us are, I thoroughly researched things like how much will amazon smile cost? are Amazon smile products more expensive? looking everywhere for the catch but really there isnt one. The products cost the same, the smile programme is free so to my mind as a PTA chair, it literally is money for nothing and yes I suppose 0.5% of eligible purchases isnt the greatest number and its not going to break any fundraising records but even if the school use it for their purchases that occasionally have to be made on amazon it will bring some money in with little to no effort.
Although this is an American advert, it gives you the general gist as to where Amazon are coming from with Amazon Smile.
Cons For Consumers Explained
- Requires double-checking: AmazonSmile does require you to double-check that you are on the correct site. While it is easy to shop and donate on Amazon, you still have to make sure that you are on the AmazonSmile shopping portal for it all to work seamlessly. Amazon may remind you to switch to AmazonSmile sometimes.
- One-at-a-time donations: On AmazonSmile, you cannot donate to more than one charity at a time. Many of us support more than one charity and would like to donate to all of them. However, on AmazonSmile, one would have to go to the trouble of switching one’s charitable choice periodically to cover more than one charity.
- The donation amount is small: It takes a really long time for your donations to add up to anything significant. These tiny donations should not substitute for larger donations made directly to your favorite charities.
You May Like: Amazon Prime Now Ebt
How To Set Up Your Amazonsmile Account
Go to and click “Get Started.” If you already have an Amazon account, you’ll be asked to sign in. If you don’t have an Amazon account, you will need to set one up. It doesn’t cost anything to set up a basic Amazon account.
If you already are an Amazon Prime member, all Prime benefits will be available at AmazonSmile. If you are not a Prime member and want to join, there is a fee to set up an , although there is also a trial membership.
Amazon Smile Vs Easy Fundraising And The Giving Machine
There is no doubt that Amazon Smile is in competition with the other big names in the fundraising ring and I know that in our PTA we felt we had to make a choice between the likes of Amazon Smile, Easyfundraising.co.uk and TheGivingMachine.co.uk. The conclusion that we came to? you dont have to!
The thing is Amazon are simply too big to ignore, they used to be on the EasyFundraising Platform but now they have pulled out of that to do Amazon Smile which is totally understandable. Personally we use EasyFundraising and Amazon alongside each other.
The great thing about Easy fundraising is that we have started launching our Easy Fundraising reminders on a Friday night with Just Eat attached for those having a cheeky takeaway and that certainly helped uplift numbers! Easy Fundraisings platform of 30,000 retailers is vast and definitely not one to be missed!
The Giving Machine is yet untested personally by our school but I know that you can split your donations to 4 different causes as a shopper, they have a designated shopping app that you can use and so far 2,000 retailers so certainly worth a look in the future.
I have to say though that although our relationship with Amazon Smile is still in its infancy, it is taking off and in a year where every penny counts for us with a new library expansion, im excited to see where this one goes! I hope you have found this useful and if you would like to sign up to Amazon Smile today you can do so here
Recommended Reading: Amazon Business Only Pricing
How To Register To Receive Donations Through Amazonsmile
AmazonSmile is a program through which charitable organizations, including nonprofit camps, can receive donations when people shop at or through the Amazon Shopping app on iOS or Android phones when AmazonSmile is activated.
According to Amazon, they donate 0.5 percent of eligible AmazonSmile purchases to the charitable organizations selected by customers.
To be eligible for the AmazonSmile program, organizations must be registered and in good standing with the IRS as a 501. See the full list of eligibility requirements on .
To sign up to receive donations through AmazonSmile, follow these steps:
To receive donations, individual shoppers must choose your organization as their AmazonSmile charity.
Thousands Of Charities See Their Stories
Every day lesbian, gay, bi and trans people face discrimination, abuse, and violence because of who they are and who they love. Stonewall Equality fights for LGBT rights in the UK and around the world. From tackling homophobia in sport, to making schools safe for young LGBT people, to ensuring the UK backs LGBT rights abroad, all our campaigns share the same goal acceptance without exception. Your AmazonSmile purchase could help us send information packs to teachers around Britain, to help give them the skills to tackle homophobic, biphobic and transphobic bullying in their school or help 10 people access our free Information Service.LGBT rights are human rights. Thank you for supporting Stonewall now on AmazonSmile.
As a puppy she was purchased from an online site but when she became very ill in February this year, her owners could not afford the vet bills and poor Beau was dropped off at an RSPCA centre. After seven months of care and behaviour training with RSPCA staff, Beau finally found her forever home.It costs the RSPCA £7.50 a night to provide a warm bed and food for a dog and Beau needed round-the-clock isolated care as she had highly contagious and potentially fatal parvovirus.Thanks to generous donations from AmazonSmile, dogs like Beau are able to get the care and attention they need.
You May Like: Amazon Drive Desktop App Won’t Open
How To Sign Up For Amazonsmile
AmazonSmile is a way customers can support their favorite charitable organization every time they shop with Amazon, at no additional cost.
Customers who shop at smile.amazon.com will find the same Amazon they know and love, with the added bonus that AmazonSmile will donate a portion of the eligible purchase price to the charity of your choice.
Why Use Amazonsmile
Sure, 50 cents on a $100 tablet might not seem like a huge donation. And its not a substitute for the generous contributions you regularly make to the Health Trust through campaigns like March for Meals or End of Year Giving.
But as any frequent Amazon shopper knows, your purchases add up.
Previously, AmazonSmile required the user to shop using their browser either on a desktop computer or through the mobile browser on a smartphone.
That meant that when you shopped in the official Amazon app, you werent contributing to your chosen charity even if you had already activated AmazonSmile.
By , Amazon is making the program available anytime, anywhere. So now when you buy a blender from the back seat or a printer from the patio the Health Trust still gets that 0.5%.
Recommended Reading: Amazon Rewards Card Apr
How Do I Do It
2. Sign in with your Amazon.com credentials
3. Choose a charitable organization to receive donations, or search for the charity of your choice
4. Select Buena Music Association in Ventura, CA
4. Start shopping!
5. Add a bookmark for to make it even easier to return and start your shopping at AmazonSmile.
Why Should You Register For Amazonsmile
You should register with AmazonSmile just in case your supporters have already designated you to receive their donations.
Consumers can search for your organization, and your charity may be listed but unclaimed on AmazonSmile. When the charity has not registered yet, the consumer’s eligible purchase donation will go in a “communal” fund. At the end of eight quarters, that fund will be donated to other registered charitable organizations.
It is also essential to check your organization’s status on AmazonSmile, even after you have enrolled. Changes in standing with the IRS or “violations” of the AmazonSmile Participation Agreement can eliminate your organization for eligibility.
You could be dropped if your bank account changes or even your email. While Amazon will notify you if you are dropped, you must respond promptly and fix the issue.
Claiming your account on AmazonSmile does not cost anything. But if you don’t claim it, you could lose any donations that might accrue.
You May Like: Is Audible Included In Amazon Prime Membership
How Does The Donation Work On Amazonsmile
Keep in mind that, unless your nonprofit or charity has registered with AmazonSmile, your accrued donations will go to another registered cause after eight quarters.
If you are wondering if your preferred organization is registered with AmazonSmile, you can reach out to it via email or social media before selecting them from the AmazonSmile charity list. Many charities promote AmazonSmile on their websites.
AmazonSmile will also notify that organization that they need to register to receive donations from your eligible purchases once you select them in your account.
You must remember to go to AmazonSmile each time you shop for all of this to work. So, consider bookmarking the site or use .
You can also use the Amazon mobile app on your phone or other mobile devices to access AmazonSmile. Just log on to the app, look for AmazonSmile in the menu, and follow the directions.
Setting Up Amazon Smile On Mobile
If you shop at Amazon using your mobile device, you can still use Amazon Smile and help send kids to Camp.
From your Browser
If you regularly shop using Amazon using your mobile browser, simply navigate to and set a bookmark. Each time you open a new tab, click on your Amazon smile bookmark or enter smile.amazon.com as the url.
From the Amazon App
Unfortunately, you cant use Amazon smile directly through the Amazon app, but there are 2 easy workarounds.
1. Replace the Amazon app with a link to the Amazon Smile mobile page. navigate to . On an iPhone, press the share button, then select Add to HomeScreen. On an Android device, press the menu button, then tap Page. Then tap Add page shortcut.
2. Add all of your items to your cart using the Amazon app, then checkout using either your mobile browser, or a desktop browser.
And youre all set to shop at Amazon while making a difference!
Recommended Reading: Do Whole Foods Employees Get An Amazon Discount
Amazonsmile Is Now Available Through The Amazon Shopping App
You can now support MRC on your iPhone & Android phones.
How to turn on AmazonSmile in the mobile app
1. Join AmazonSmile. If you are not already an AmazonSmile member, on your web browser. The above link will automatically select the Marine Resources Council of East Florida as your charity to start generating donations for, at no cost to you.
2. Get the app. Download or update to the latest version of the Amazon Shopping app on your phone. You can find it in the App Store for iOS or for Android.
3. Turn on AmazonSmile. Open the app and find Settings in the main menu . Tap on AmazonSmile and follow the on-screen instructions to turn on AmazonSmile on your phone.
How Amazon Smile Works For Consumers
Customers first need to . They can complete this step by visiting and signing in with their Amazon credentials. Then, they can choose the charity they want to make a donation to. After that, its shop as usual. As long as an item is eligible for Amazon Smile, your nonprofit gets a donation. Most products on Amazon are eligible and it costs nothing for a customer to be a part of the program.
Now, people shopping on Amazon can be charitable without breaking the bank. Tell your employees, those who volunteer for your organization, and anyone else you can think of to sign up and join in. Make a push to get people to sign up before Prime Day, to maximize those sales for your nonprofit.
Don’t Miss: Amazon Books For Iphone