Amazon Prime Day: A Force To Be Reckoned With
Since Prime Day began, Palmer said it has become an event shoppers plan for, some of whom wait all year to purchase anything from TVs and beauty products to Alexa-enabled devices like those in the Echo suite. Prime Day sales have historically surpassed those on Black Friday and Cyber Monday, making it the largest shopping event ever for the retailer. In just five years, in fact, Prime Day has become so big that its forced Amazon competitors like Walmart, Macys and Target to respond by changing the timing of their own sales and deals. Since Prime Day usually falls in July, for example, Macys runs its Black Friday in July event then. And with Walmart+, Walmarts own version of Amazon Prime, the stakes are higher than ever.
Prime Day is no longer just a day for people to purchase cheap items on Amazon, Palmer said. Quite frankly, it has completely altered the retail calendar.
We consulted experts about the growth of Prime Day, as well as looked back on its history. And, of course, we compiled some of the top-selling items during Amazon Prime Day events worldwide, from Instant Pots to the Echo Dot.
Take Advantage Of The Amazon Prime Card Benefits For Prime Day
Current Amazon Prime Visa cardmembers can save an extra 25% on select items that other Prime members wont enjoy when paying with a non-Amazon credit card. If you have a Prime Visa, you may miss out on the extra savings for Prime Day 2020 but can get a limited-time $100 Amazon signup bonus.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That’s $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
Early Access To Lightning Deals
Do you live for the quick, hot deal? Amazon Prime members enjoy access to those one-off, deeply discounted Lightning Deals 30 minutes before the great unwashed as part of Prime Early Access. Lightning Deals are only good for a few hours so if you really want what’s on sale early access is an advantage. But even then, Amazon warns some deals could sell out during the early access period, before opening up to the general public. Recent Prime Early Access Lightning Deals included 27% off Lulla Bear Shusher by Alex & Kate , 27% off a two pack of AmeriTop outdoor solar lights , and 35% off EAILGORL water bottles .
Don’t Miss: Amazon Locker Locations Seattle
Why You Might Not Want A Membership
Of course, not everything about Amazon Prime is worth the membership. Theres the question of how often you shop on Amazon. If you arent ordering much or you dont think youll take advantage of many of the services membership offers, you might as well pass.
If youre unsure whether Prime is right for you, consider signing up for a free trial. Youll have 30 days to give it a test drive. But take note: At the end of the trial period, your credit card will be charged the membership fee automatically for the next period unless you cancel in advance.
Paid members who havent used their benefits are eligible for a full refund. You cant receive a refund if any household member has placed a Prime-eligible order.
Get discounts, product recommendations, and buying advice from the shopping experts at CR. .
Editors Note: This article has been updated with new information.
When you shop through retailer links on our site, we may earn affiliate commissions. 100% of the fees we collect are used to support our nonprofit mission. Learn more.
Keep And Eye Out For Credits And Bonuses
As in Prime Days past, Amazon is offering a $10 credit to use to support small businesses during the event through their small business storefronts. According to an Amazon representative, more than 2.5 million people bought products from small businesses in the first 24 hours of the promotion.
Speaking of credit, if you have an Amazon gift card, add it to your account prior to Prime Day itselfthat way, youll have the credit on file when the festivities begin. This does more than just give you more purchase agilityas recently as 2019, we noted complaints of difficulty redeeming gift card credit during Prime Day, likely due to the volume of buyers trying to do so. Once youve added your favorites to your virtual cart, consider . Day delivery lets Prime members opt to receive all available orders on a given day, consolidating the number of truck trips to your residence.
Read Also: How To Register A Kindle To Amazon Account
What Were 2021’s Best Prime Day Deals
Of all the deals available over Prime Day 2021, some of the biggest discounts were unsurprisingly on Amazon’s own devices. While the top selling product this year was the Fire TV Stick 4K, some other popular deals included price drops on Echo devices, Halo bands, Luna controllers, Fire TVs, Fire tablets, Kindles, Eero Wi-Fi spots, Blink security cameras and Ring doorbell cameras.
However, as expected PS5 and Xbox Series X games saw a huge surge this year thanks to some pretty tasty discounts. The latest generation of consoles unfortunately have had a bit of a gaming drought, but Prime Day gaming deals on some of the latest titles made it a bit easier to jump into something new.
Prime Day Deals That Are Live Now
Amazon Echo Buds
This being an Amazon-run shopping event, you can expect that the company’s own line of hardware products and services will get a nice discount. In fact, Amazon is kicking off some deals early. Discounts include:
Amazon says its gaming and entertainment bundle will also be over $40 off starting June 13, while Fire TV accessory bundles will be over 30% off.
You May Like: How To Reset Amazon Kindle
How Should Sellers Prepare For Amazon Prime Day In 2021
Countless brands are trying to leverage a massive customer base on Amazon Prime Day. Whether you are a novice seller or an experienced e-tailer, its easy to miss out on a few things which can maximize your profits. Competing with millions of Amazon sellers can be harder than it looks. So we came up with a few Amazon Prime Day tips to boost your sales in 2021.
Creating Campaign Deals: Step
1) Goal setting Short-term increase of turnover, winning new customers, pushing new products and reducing overstock
2) Choose deal type Sales is the overall goal, but the needs for each product line will differ, and this will help determine which deal type to use.
- You dont need every single deal for every ASIN, so evaluate each and plan a strategy
Tip: Some need up to 4 weeks of preparation so be sure to keep a timeline of when you need to plan each item organization is key!
3) Check your deal performance to ensure they are running the way you want them to and watch them VERY closely for the duration
4) Initiate Amazon assessment. This may take several weeks as it may require a lot of feedback loops and possible coordination with your vendor management
5) Plan the implementation and make your product selection
Tip: Keep an eye on your financing and margins and consider the lead time required
6) Push your deals with Sponsored Advertising and DSP
Recommended Reading: Buy Amzn
Does Amazon Prime Include Prime Video
Gone are the days of the Netflix monopoly on the TV show and movie streaming industries and even on engaging original content. Amazons Prime Video ranks highly on the list of popular streaming services that you now have the option to use. When you subscribe to Amazon Prime, youll automatically get a free subscription to Prime Video. There, youll find an impressive number of movies and TV shows that are currently available to watch for free.
Be aware that, while many selections are viewable at no charge for Prime members, there are others that still require you to rent, which costs a few dollars. That said, the free choices are clearly marked, so all you have to do is look for the Prime tag on each selections title card. You can also filter the page display to show only those titles that are free with Prime. In addition, you can subscribe to add-on channels like Showtime for a monthly fee.
Other Amazon Prime Card Benefits
The Amazon Prime Visa offers these daily shopping perks:
- 5% back on Amazon.com and Whole Foods purchases
- 2% back at restaurants, gas stations, and drugstores
- 1% back on everything else
There are no annual fee or foreign transaction fees. You can redeem your shopping rewards on future Amazon purchases. Its also possible to redeem your rewards for cash back, travel, and gift cards on Chase.com. You must be an Amazon Prime member to qualify for the Prime Visa.
Other benefits come standard with the Chase Visa Signature credit cards such as travel accident insurance and baggage delay insurance. Eligible purchases can get an extra year of extended warranty protection and purchase protection of up to $500 per claim .
Non-Prime members can also enjoy extra cash back on Amazon purchases with the :
- 3% back on Amazon.com and Whole Foods purchases
- 2% back at gas stations, restaurants, and drugstores
- 1% back on all other purchases
The signup bonus is a $50 Amazon gift card. There isnt an annual fee or foreign transaction fee.
The information for the Amazon Rewards Visa Card has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Related: Best Cash Back Credit Cards
Also Check: Amazon Hub Locker Dimensions
Free Ebooks For Your Kindle Or Mobile
Buried down the list of benefits is a large selection of ebooks to download to your Kindle or the Kindle app on your phone/tablet free of charge. Most genres are covered with over a thousand books, magazines, comics and more available to Amazon Prime members.
Your mileage will vary depending on what you like to read and you won’t be finding brand new titles being added to this perk anytime soon, but it’s well worth looking into if you’re an Amazon Prime member already or are considering the full benefit while on an .
You’ll be able to pick up a cheap Kindle deal on an e-reader around Prime Day for sure, so this is a great way to grab a few free books to get you going. If you’re a super keen bookworm, there’s actually a terrific offer going on Kindle Unlimited right now. For the first three months, you don’t have to pay a thing, it’s a completely free trial extended way beyond the usual 30 days. We’ve rounded up the details for the US/UK membership and the Australian version too.
What Is An Amazon Prime Membership And How Much Does It Cost
An Amazon Prime membership includes various benefits, including delivery , streaming, shopping and reading benefits on its site. Prime members can also share their Prime benefits with one other adult for free delivery, streaming access, free shipping at Shopbop and free upgraded shipping at Zappos.
A Prime member probably doesnt just shop from Amazon, Bourlier said. In addition to shopping on Amazon, they can buy groceries from Whole Foods, listen to audiobooks with Audible, subscribe to Kindle Unlimited, watch and use Amazon Echo speakers.
Recommended Reading: Locate Amazon Locker
$120 Off Tineco Floor One S3 Cordless Vacuum
Tinecos Cordless Vacuum lets you clean smarter, not harder, and right now you can get it for 30% off its regular price. With a specialized sensor, Floor One S3 detects messes on hard floors and automatically adjusts suction power and water flow so you wont have to go back and scrub stuck-on crud.
Looking Ahead To Prime Day 2021
Amazon announced that Prime Day 2021 will be held on June 21 and 22, which is earlier than the events usual mid-July date. As we previously reported, Prime Day 2021 could be timed against the rescheduled 2021 Olympics and the projected travel boom surrounding it. Palmer thinks Amazon might be hoping to catch people as they prepare for summer vacations and outdoor sports or activities. She said retailers could benefit from people looking to purchase discounted hiking, swimming and camping gear for example, as well as summer clothing.
We dont know if well see the kind of crazy e-commerce growth that we did at the height of the pandemic, Palmer said. But I think well see some strong sales this year and strong e-commerce activity.
Read Also: How Do I Use Prime At Whole Foods
Amazon Prime Day: 5 Reasons You’ll Keep Prime Membership After The Deals End
These benefits may see you keep your membership going beyond Prime Day
On , having an membership will be essential if you want to enjoy those exclusive deals. But what about afterwards, when the deals have all gone? Is it worth keeping your membership going?
Amazon Prime members will frequently see items with Prime member-exclusive prices on various items at Amazon all year round and you’ll get early access to Lightning Deals before non-members. And on the best deals, that could well be the difference between buying an item, and it being sold out by the time you’re given a shot. We’re not even exaggerating, we’ve seen Nintendo Switch deals last less than 90 seconds around big flagship sales events like Black Friday.
But it’s not all about buying. Amazon Prime has a lot of excellent benefits that are often overlooked amongst all the furore around the Amazon Prime Day deals. Let us show you the best ones that might convince you to keep your Prime membership going after Prime Day.
How To Sign Up For Amazon Prime
Signing up for an Amazon Prime membership is easy. You can even try Amazon Prime for free for a month. After which, the cost of Amazon Prime depends on what plan you choose:
- Amazon Prime yearly subscription: If you opt for a full year, you’ll pay an annual fee of $119.
- Amazon Prime monthly subscription: You can also pay $12.99 a month.
- Prime Student: If you’re a student with a valid school email address, you can get a six-month trial of Prime Student and then pay 50% less than other Prime users after the trial ends.
For what it’s worth, we highly recommend paying the annual fee. Opting for the steeper, upfront cost will save you about $37 over the monthly price.
Don’t Miss: Kindle That Reads To You
Take Your Amazon Returns To Kohl’s
Amazon.com has partnered with Kohl’s department stores to provide Amazon shoppers with another place to return their Amazon products — and stir up some foot traffic for Kohl’s.
The team-up makes it a win-win for both retailers. Amazon shoppers have another place to drop off returns besides UPS, the post office, Whole Foods stores and Amazon Hub locales , and Kohl’s will gain some potential shoppers, who must drop off their Amazon returns at customer service or a dedicated Amazon returns desk. You don’t even have to pack the return box the good folks at Kohl’s will take care of it. Try getting the post office to do that.
Why is this a win for Kohl’s? In my experience, the customer service desks at Kohl’s are deep inside the store . That’s a whole lot of merchandise to pass by as you drop off the Amazon package and leave the store.
Grocery Deliveries And Discounts
Amazon Prime members also enjoy several helpful discounts and delivery options on groceries. If youre a fan of Whole Foods, you can use your Prime Membership to score an extra 10% off every time you visit that store for groceries. In certain locations, you can also have your Whole Foods groceries delivered for free.
is another great perk that Prime members who live in certain areas can enjoy. While its a relatively new service thats still expanding, Fresh currently provides free online grocery delivery on orders over $35 to residents of many larger cities around the country.
Read Also: Amazon Cloud Drive Mac App
Entertainment: Prime Video Music And Photos And More
- Prime Video: Unlimited streaming of movies and TV episodes for paid or free trial members in the U.S. and Puerto Rico. You can also add video subscriptions to Showtime, Starz, A& E, AMC and many other streaming entertainment channels. Amazon is constantly expanding its Prime Video library with new content. For more information, go to About Prime Video.
- Prime Music: Unlimited, ad-free access to hundreds of Prime Playlists and more than a million songs for members in the U.S. and Puerto Rico. For more information, go to About Prime Music. Did you also know you can ?
- Prime Photos: Secure unlimited photo storage in Amazon Cloud Drive. For more information, go to About Prime Photos. If you can wait until the holidays, you can usually find a deal that gets you a $10 Amazon credit for uploading photos to the Amazon cloud.
- Kindle Owners’ Lending Library: Accessible to members in the U.S. For more information, go to Kindle Owners’ Lending Library.
- Video Add-On Subscriptions: You can order third-party streaming apps through Amazon Prime to keep all your video content in one place. For instance, you can add Showtime Anytime and HBO Go to your account.
- Free Games with Prime Gaming: Amazon offers a selection of free games and in-game loot with Prime Gaming, formerly Twitch Prime. Prime members also get free in-game content for select mobile games like PUBG Mobile.